Little Bumble's Spring Recipe Competition delivered so many wonderful dishes shared by home cooks using Spring fresh seasonal produce.
Below we share a selection for you to try at home. Enjoy!
Julie's Caramel Banana Cake
The bananas used for these cakes must be over-ripe. The sweeter and softer the better! It is best to mash about 3 large bananas on a plate with a fork to achieve 1 cup of banana pulp.
¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup mashed banana
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
¾ cup sour cream
1 tablespoon milk
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 ½ cups icing sugar
Grease a 14cm x 21cm loaf pan.
Cream butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, beat in eggs, one at a time; beat until combined.
Transfer mixture to a large bowl, stir in banana. Stir in half the sifted dry ingredients with half the combined sour cream and milk then stir in remaining dry ingredients and sour cream mixture; stir until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake in moderate oven for about 1 hour, stand 5 minutes before turning on to wire rack to cool. When cold, spread with icing.
CARAMEL ICING - METHOD
Melt butter and sugar in saucepan, stir constantly over heat without boiling for 2 minutes. Add sour cream, bring to the boil, remove from heat, stir in sifted icing sugar. Keeping time: 4 days.
CHANDNI's KIDS QUINOA CHILLI
1/4 cup quinoa
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup passata
75g can of bean mix (red kidney, Lima and chick pea)
1 cup of mixed vegetables (diced carrots, corn kernels, peas, capsicum, zucchini)
1 teaspoon of oil
Add a pinch of herbs and spices depending on what your kids like: cumin powder, coriander powder, basil and ginger add that little extra to the flavour.
Heat the oil in a saucepan.
Add the herbs and spices one by one.
On medium heat, add the vegetables and stir (let them cook for around 2 mins).
Add the quinoa and stir.
Add the bean mix & passata.
Add the water and mix all ingredients.
Bring the mixture to boil.
Put the lid on and simmer for 15 mins.
Serve with little pieces of cheese and homemade fritter balls (more hidden vegetables!)
Sarah's Rainbow Salad
- Tomatoes - different varieties and colours
Chop and combine together. Serve with mashed potatoes and sausages!
Amanda's Chocolate Strawberry Powder Puffs
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 1/2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- Pinch of salt
STRAWBERRY CREAM FILLING
- 200ml whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- Strawberries cut into small pieces
Pre heat oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
Beat egg whites stiffly.
Slowly add sugar, beat to dissolve.
Add yolks, beat again.
Sift dry ingredients at least 3 times. Carefully fold into egg mixture.
Gently fold in vanilla.
Place small teaspoonfuls onto oven tray lined with Little Bumble Reusable Baking Mats allowing room to spread.
Cook 7-10 minutes until browned around edges. Let sit on tray to cool for a couple of minutes then move to wire tray.
Whip cream with icing sugar and vanilla. Gently fold in strawberries.
Once puffs are cold fill pairs with strawberry cream.
Allow to sit until puffs soften (at least 1 hour).
Sprinkle with icing sugar.
Frankie's Greek Sliders with Homemade Tzatziki & Sweet Potato Fries
BURGERS & FRIES
- Beef mince
- Australian or Greek feta
- Italian herbs
- Garlic (minced or dried)
- Cracked pepper
- Spinach leaves
- Sliced tomato
- Spanish onion
- Homemade tzatziki
- Slider buns
- Sweet potatoes
- Roast vegetable seasoning
- Combine beef mince with crumbled feta, Italian herbs, garlic and cracked pepper.
- Combine and roll into small slider bun patty size
- Cook on the grill until cooked through
- Meanwhile, slice up a couple big sweet potatoes into chip slices and bake in the oven with some cracked salt and roast vegetable seasoning.
- In addition, toast slider buns in the oven for a few minutes to crisp them up
- Assemble sliders with slider buns, spinach leaves, Spanish onion, tomato slices, Greek burger patties and homemade tzatziki
- Serve with sweet potato fries on the side
- Greek yoghurt
- Minced garlic
- Finely dice up a whole cucumber
- Combine Greek yoghurt with diced cucumber and several teaspoons of garlic (I usually use about 4-5 teaspoons!)